Detective Pikachu is an upcoming American live-action action mystery film directed by Rob Letterman and written by Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch. It would be the first ever live-action film based on the Detective Pikachu on the character Pokémon.
Detective Pikachu will be released on May 10, 2019. 
In April 2016, it was reported by The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. PicturesSony Pictures and Legendary Pictures were in negotiations for a live-action film rights to Japanese children’s franchise Pokémon.  Later in July 2016, Deadline.com reported that Legendary was nearing to close a deal for the film after the success of Pokémon Go.  On July 20, 2016, it was reported that Legendary and The Pokémon Company had signed on a deal together to make the first live-action film franchise of the game, which would be based on the character Detective Pikachu. Max Landis was reported to be writing the screenplay, while Universal Pictures would handle the distribution outside Japan, under a deal with Legendary.  On August 16, 2016, Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch were in negotiations with Legendary to write the screenplay.  On November 30, 2016, Legendary hired Rob Letterman to direct the film, which studio had fast-tracked the project for a production to start in 2017, which Toho would handle the Japanese distribution. 
In November 2017, Justice Smith was cast in the lead human role, with Kathryn Newton cast to costar after an intense session of reading and testing actresses who would appear opposite Smith. Newton beat out Natalia DyerHaley Lu Richardsonand Katherine Langford for the role.  In December 2017, Ryan Reynolds was cast in the titular role to be portrayed via motion-capture.  Other actors considered for the role were Dwayne JohnsonMark Wahlbergand Hugh Jackman.  In January 2018, with production commencing, Ken Watanabe joined the cast. 
Principal production began on January 15, 2018 in London, England.  Nine days later, Legendary announced that principal photography had officially begun.  The press release revealed that Alex Hirsch was not involved with the final draft of the script and that Nicole Perlman and Rob Letterman were the only ones credited. 
- “Ryan Reynolds’ ‘Detective Pikachu’ Gets 2019 Release Date”. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Masters, Kim (April 14, 2016). “Pokemon Movie Rights Bidding War as China’s Legendary Makes Big Play for Japanese Property”. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Fleming, Jr, Mike (July 12, 2016). “Is Legendary Going To Catch Pokemon? Movie Deal In Offing For Hot Franchise Property”. Deadline. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (July 20, 2016). “Legendary Catches ‘Pokemon’ Live-Action Movie Rights Deal”. Deadline. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (August 16, 2016). “‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ and ‘Gravity Falls’ Writers to Pen ‘Pokemon’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE)”. Variety. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Ford, Rebecca (November 30, 2016). “Pokemon Movie ‘Detective Pikachu’ Lands Director”. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Patrick Hipes. “‘Detective Pikachu’ Movie: Justice Smith To Star In Live-Action Pokemon Film”. Deadline. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- “Pokemon Movie Finds Its Female Lead With ‘Big Little Lies’ Actress”. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- “Ryan Reynolds to Star in Pokemon Movie ‘Detective Pikachu’ (Exclusive)”. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- “The Rock Eyed to Voice Detective Pikachu”. Screen Rant. October 17, 2017. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- “Ken Watanabe Joins Ryan Reynolds in Pokemon Movie ‘Detective Pikachu’ (Exclusive)”. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Williams, Caleb (October 13, 2017). “Live-Action ‘Pokemon’ Movie ‘Detective Pikachu’ Starts Filming This January in the UK – Omega Underground”. omegaunderground.com. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- Trumbore, Dave (January 24, 2018). “‘Detective Pikachu’ Begins Production on the WTF Movie of 2019, Starring Ryan Reynolds”. Collider. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- Erao, Matthew (January 24, 2018). “Detective Pikachu Live-Action Movie Officially Begins Filming”. Screen Rant. Retrieved January 24, 2018.